Crème de Cassis
Inspired by the classic liqueur of Burgundy, our Crème de Cassis is a fortified fruit wine crafted from blackcurrants grown on the Saanich Peninsula. Sweetened to balance the tart, earthy flavours of the “cassis” berries, enjoy this liqueur as an apéritif in a Kir cocktail or after dinner as a digestif or...in your cake! Recipe below.
For the Cake
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 3/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Rathjen Cellars Crème de Cassis
- 1/2 cup salted brown butter - melted [ https://www.simplyrecipes.com/
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1.5 cups fresh black plums sliced into bite-sized chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9" X 3.5" bundt pan with a good coating of melted butter (feel free to make a little extra brown butter and use this to coat your pan). Then dust the entire butter-coated pan with flour.
- Add flour, sugar, cacao, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand up mixer. Whisk all ingredients together thoroughly or use the paddle attachment on your mixer to combine.
- Add Rathjen Cellars Crème de Cassis, melted brown butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add the boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Stir in the fresh black plums by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
For the Ganache
- 200 grams organic dark chocolate chips or a dark chocolate bar chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Rathjen Cellars Crème de Cassis
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- Set the dark chocolate chips or chunks aside in a heat-proof bowl with a lid.
- Bring the heavy cream to a simmer on the stove, stirring occasionally. As soon as cream begins to simmer, remove from the heat and pour over chocolate, swirling the bowl to make sure all chocolate is covered.
- Place the lid over the chocolate to trap the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, undisturbed. Remove the lid and add a pinch of flaky sea salt. Immediately swirl the chocolate with a whisk while slowly adding the cassis and vanilla. Once velvety smooth, let it sit uncovered at room temperature for about 5 minutes before drizzling over the cake. If too thick, warm the ganache back up in the bowl over a pan of boiling water. Add a little more cream and/or Creme de Cassis to thin.
- Organic French vanilla ice cream
- Drizzle of Rathjen Cellars Crème de Cassis